• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Enhanced Darkcoin Wallet UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skinnable themes for the UI looks extremely doable -- the following code (cannibalized from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...olor-for-the-whole-window-of-a-qt-application) seems like the key :-D

QFile file(":/qss/default.qss");
file.open(QFile::ReadOnly);QString styleSheet =QLatin1String(file.readAll());
ui->setupUi(this); // from Darkcoin code
ui->setStyleSheet(styleSheet);

I'm an android xml layout novice, but pretty good w/ CSS - I'm gonna give a try :-D

Coincidentally I've started some experiments with the Darkcoin-wallet and CSS yesterday...right now I try to find a generic way for it (instead of loading the CSS for each individual form, which already works).

If you have some beautiful CSS (I would especially like a blue-ish Darkcoin default theme) let me know.
If you need information about the names of the UI-elements I can also help there.

Coincidentally I've started some experiments with the Darkcoin-wallet and CSS yesterday...right now I try to find a generic way for it (instead of loading the CSS for each individual form, which already works).

If you have some beautiful CSS (I would especially like a blue-ish Darkcoin default theme) let me know.
If you need information about the names of the UI-elements I can also help there.

Nice! I'll definitely keep you posted with what I come up with, good to see also that we're both on a similar track.

Any information you have on the UI element names would be incredibly helpful, I noticed that the .ui files aren't too descriptive ;-) please send those over when you have a sec

Skinnable themes for the UI looks extremely doable -- the following code (cannibalized from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...olor-for-the-whole-window-of-a-qt-application) seems like the key :-D

file.open(QFile::ReadOnly);QString styleSheet =QLatin1String(file.readAll());
ui->setupUi(this); // from Darkcoin code
ui->setStyleSheet(styleSheet);

I'm an android xml layout novice, but pretty good w/ CSS - I'm gonna give a try :-D
Good luck!

Nice! I'll definitely keep you posted with what I come up with, good to see also that we're both on a similar track.

Any information you have on the UI element names would be incredibly helpful, I noticed that the .ui files aren't too descriptive ;-) please send those over when you have a sec

I just played a bit with CSS...everything works, colors, gradients, borders, the whole shebang, so you can really do nasty things.
Even CSS3 is supported!
And I need just one single code-change to activate the CSS for the complete wallet.

I'm still collecting the used QT-UI-elements (especially what is used WHERE), that's not as simple as it sounds.

And, there's unfortunately one major problem: some UI elements overwrite my global stylesheet, so if we really want CSS-based themes there are code changes necessary :rolleyes:

Right now some things look a bit odd and I haven't yet found all UI elements, but it's definitely doable.
Quicky proof of concept:
CSS1.jpg

Gotta catch some sleep now, will have another look tomorrow.

Isn't Microsoft writing a .NET wrapper that will allow the execution of .NET framework code on Linux? If so, we could replace the wallet with a C# written wallet? Assuming the wallet talks to the daemon via RPC

Isn't Microsoft writing a .NET wrapper that will allow the execution of .NET framework code on Linux? If so, we could replace the wallet with a C# written wallet? Assuming the wallet talks to the daemon via RPC

Personally I would NEVER port an application which has "privacy" as main feature to a language where the only available compiler is a closed-source project of an US-based company.

But that's just me...
icon_cool.gif

I just played a bit with CSS...everything works, colors, gradients, borders, the whole shebang, so you can really do nasty things.
Even CSS3 is supported!
And I need just one single code-change to activate the CSS for the complete wallet.

I'm still collecting the used QT-UI-elements (especially what is used WHERE), that's not as simple as it sounds.

And, there's unfortunately one major problem: some UI elements overwrite my global stylesheet, so if we really want CSS-based themes there are code changes necessary :rolleyes:

Right now some things look a bit odd and I haven't yet found all UI elements, but it's definitely doable.
Quicky proof of concept:
View attachment 1009

Gotta catch some sleep now, will have another look tomorrow.

yet another reason that inline CSS statements are blasphemous! This will be a good and well justified change to the codebase in my opinion. Are you hooking the stylesheet in on walletframe.cpp?

Code:
    // Load stylesheet
        file.open(QFile::ReadOnly);
        QString styleSheet = QLatin1String(file.readAll());
        walletStack->setStyleSheet(styleSheet);

please let me know if you need any graphics for these skin jobs,
I collected all the old files from DRKLord (original idea) wallet and have others (+ all buttons and such)

please let me know if you need any graphics for these skin jobs,
I collected all the old files from DRKLord (original idea) wallet and have others (+ all buttons and such)

Definitely! I'll send you a pm with my gmail in a sec. Some progress tonight just getting my bearings on what element is what - but wow, the .UI file really needs some work. A cleanup might be possible without adjusting this file but as far as I can tell it's impossible to remove the line beneath "Submitted Denom:" and it's fairly jumbled.

Gave up on removing that after about an hour of playing around with it, however was able to target and adjust all the elements of the overview. Behold, the wallet without all that gray!

2015-02-15_2126.png

Last edited:
Definitely! I'll send you a pm with my gmail in a sec. Some progress tonight just getting my bearings on what element is what - but wow, the .UI file really needs some work. A cleanup might be possible without adjusting this file but as far as I can tell it's impossible to remove the line beneath "Submitted Denom:" and it's fairly jumbled.

Gave up on removing that after about an hour of playing around with it, however was able to target and adjust all the elements of the overview. Behold, the wallet without all that gray!

View attachment 1010

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ......>>>

View attachment 1010

Edit: for those interested, forked darkcoin w/ external stylesheet support at: https://github.com/snogcel/darkcoin. Makes it so you don't have to recompile every time you tweak something :)
hi, thanks for stepping up and doing this! just a note, please work on branch v0.11.2.x! (should be trivial to merge your work into it.)

if you need graphics, let us know. if you need guidance on font, sizes and colours, please refer to the style guide here: https://www.darkcoin.io/resources/promotional-graphics/ (scroll down).

View attachment 1010

Edit: for those interested, forked darkcoin w/ external stylesheet support at: https://github.com/snogcel/darkcoin. Makes it so you don't have to recompile every time you tweak something :)
Also: have a look at my darkcoil graphics library https://github.com/vertoe/darkcoil/tree/master-0.8/src/qt/res/icons
Maybe you find them usefull, i created them from templates in this thread.
Screenshots can be found here https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darkcoil-0-9-18-13-lightweight-darkcoin-wallet.3017/

Gave up on removing that after about an hour of playing around with it, however was able to target and adjust all the elements of the overview. Behold, the wallet without all that gray

I've done my changes locally in the v0.11.2.x branch but not yet pulled it to github :)

I think before we do the same things in parallel we should split and coordinate the work...I'll send you an email later today (after work) with my findings and open points and we decide from there who does what.

I've done my changes locally in the v0.11.2.x branch but not yet pulled it to github :)

I think before we do the same things in parallel we should split and coordinate the work...I'll send you an email later today (after work) with my findings and open points and we decide from there who does what.

hey crowning
very cool that you are into this as well
I emailed all my files (DRKLord original + Tungfa Style PS files + Layers) to snogcel
i pinged vertoe earlier to make sure nothing gets "broken"
let me know anytime if you need something else / or different from me !
tx

It started as a feasibility test and then I got a bit, ahem, carried away. It's all snogcel's fault :grin:
( NO, that's not final, I suck at graphic design. Wait until snogcel applies his magic, he's about 1000x better. BTW, did I ever mention that I love the color blue?)

CSS_Test2.jpg

Maybe I should cross-post this over at BTC (without any comment) and wait for the shitstorm
whistling.gif

It started as a feasibility test and then I got a bit, ahem, carried away. It's all snogcel's fault :grin:
( NO, that's not final, I suck at graphic design. Wait until snogcel applies his magic, he's about 1000x better. BTW, did I ever mention that I love the color blue?)

View attachment 1015

Maybe I should cross-post this over at BTC (without any comment) and wait for the shitstorm
whistling.gif

Perhaps we'd laugh at you here because your wallet is not encrypted. I get that it's TESTNET and all... but it should be more obvious that you're 'doing it wrong'. The last 'my DRK was stolen' on bitcointalk was because someone did not encrypt their wallet. Shame on that wallet owner. But, it should be 'shame on us', too. We should add some annoying thing to let the user know.

Another thing about these mock-ups. Please keep the low-vision people in mind. They have a hard time seeing dark print with dark background.

I am new to the DRK-side. I've been reading up on the community. I have been VERY impressed with the community. I read the 2-3 weeks of re-design of the website over the summer. You guys rock. You work well as a team. You have people willing to step up. The works is quality. Amazing stuff. Keep up the good work.

View attachment 1015

whistling.gif

Hahaha I love it!! We should keep it as an option once the skins are selectable in the wallet ;-)

Hahaha I love it!! We should keep it as an option once the skins are selectable in the wallet ;-)

Hey guys
just a friendly reminder,
what i (DRK Official) is looking for is really what i emailed you (Corporate Identity)
if we have that, it is all fun and games (and you do any personalized / fun skins)
:wink:

Hey guys
just a friendly reminder,
what i (DRK Official) is looking for is really what i emailed you (Corporate Identity)
if we have that, it is all fun and games (and you do any personalized / fun skins)
:wink:

Understood.

Right now we're still in the process to find out what's possible and what not, that's why we are playing around with stuff....remember, what you see above are NOT code changes, it's just CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back