• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Gapcoin-Prime Gap Search-New Math Algo-CPU-Help break world records!

NUKE1989

This coin is about 40 days old. It searches for prime gaps and has already found a gap that is 12th in the world records.

The ANN is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=822498.0

Difficulty is now around 24 and if difficulty ever reaches 35.4245, every block will be a new world record!
However merit spikes randomly some times and merit with 33 can happen even with diff of 24 so since difficulty seems to keep rising we expect records rather soon.

I consider coins like primecoin, riecoin and gapcoin rather interesting for helping mathematics and i believe that breaking mathematics world records spreads awareness of what
the bitcoin protocol can do in the scientific community.

I would propose to just mine the coin. You dont need to buy it. Although a GPU miner exists a CPU miner came out about 2 weeks ago which was 10 times faster than previous CPU miner and so the coin is still mostly CPU mined. GPU isnt yet that efficient. There is a pool already although i still prefer solo mining. With a rather good CPU a few blocks can be mined per day.

What's it practical value with finding "prime gaps"?
It's not really easy to understand the "why" or the "what for" and if you ask google, you find 99% mathematician-speak about primes and gaps.
This is a nice article which sums up at least why mathematicians are so excited about prime gaps. http://www.quantamagazine.org/20131119-together-and-alone-closing-the-prime-gap/

Regarding gapcoin, I mined it in the beginning but it was so hard that I got bored after some days. Only found 2-3 gaps.

vertoe yeah your reply pretty much sums it up :D

btw the first 1152 blocks were crippled in order for people to have time start mining and not favor just the first of the first to mine the coin. Not saying that it is easy to mine though.

I got some servers mining it. We'll see how it goes.

Update:
April 21 -- I've found many gaps and that's cool with some fairly high ranking ones. I'm enjoying this :) Not making money, but I'm not doing it for that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back