• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Hardfork FAQ - May 25 at 16:00 UTC

just_mike

This FAQ should answer most of the common questions. If your question is not answered, go ahead and ask here.

Q. What is a hard fork?

A. Bitcoin-based cruptocurrencies operate with a consensus-based system about the operation of the network. When wallet software introduces new functionality for the network, or modifies existing functionality of the network, it is essential that most wallets support the same functionality, otherwise the network "forks" into two networks. In that case, the old network will still support the old functionality / services and the new network will support the new ones.

A hard fork will require everyone updating their wallet clients, otherwise your transactions will occur in the old and obsolete network - not the new one. This means that people will be unable to see that you've sent them any money or that you will not be able to receive money to a new wallet address.

Q. When is the hardfork
A. May 25 at 16:00 UTC/GMT

Q. What does the hardfork do?
A. Enables payments for the Master Nodes. Also includes several updates.

Q. Do I need to update my wallet?
A. Your wallet needs to be on 0.9.4.6 or 0.10.8.6

Q. Will I lose my Darkcoins during a hard fork?
A Your account balance will be the same. However in order to use your Darkcoins you'll have to update your wallet client.

Q. What happens if I mess up or don't do it?
A. You will not be able to use your Darkcoins.

Q. Why do we need a hardfork?
A. To introduce new features.

Q. What happens if I have my coins in a exchange?
A. Your coins are safe. All exchanges have updated their software.

Q. Are there dangers involved in a hard fork?
A. Common dangers involve individuals, mining pools or exchanges not updating to the latest wallet client.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

So the proper output from darkcoind should look like (if you are using the RC) :

"version" : 100806,
"protocolversion" : 70015,
"walletversion" : 60000,

I have a question regarding masternodes that no one seems to answer. How can I be 100% sure that it is working as it should? I can see mysefl in maternodes list but nowhere else. I.e. http://darkcoin.io/masternodes.txt

I posted the same question here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/up...r-the-hardfork-on-may-25.712/page-7#post-5031

Thanks

Back