• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Issue: old wallet.dat / new change address

B

buster

Okay so my friend has a scenario that I am wondering if there is anything he can do.

He had some darkcoins a while back. When I first helped him set up a wallet he saved the wallet.dat file after he received his darkcoins. Recently he used his wallet for a few transactions and did not save any of the new wallet.dat files or back up in any way. Unfortunately he had an issue with his computer and he ended up losing any of the new wallet.dat files. So, he does have an old wallet.dat file that was created when he first used the wallet, but no wallet.dat files after making a few transactions.

What I think happened and I could be wrong is when he was making transactions his unspent change was getting sent to a newly created address from the pool of addresses. These new addresses were not in the old wallet.dat file because they were created after that backup was made..

My question. Is there any way to recover missing change coins with an old wallet.dat file.

After doing some research I'm pretty sure it's not possible. If anybody knows some magic just leave a response here.

No, if money went to a new address (change for instance) that wasn't already in the old dat file, he's out of luck.

+1 to oblox response
And one more buster - he'd better try some low level recovery tools - even if filesystem crashed there is some chance to get back a file if you know what you you're looking for. I'm not an expert in that kind of stuff but I believe camosoul had some issues with his drive quite a long time ago and was able to retrieve his coins (pardon me if I have bad memory and it wasn't you, Camo:smile:)

Hey thanks for the info guys, not really a whole lot of change coins missing for my buddy so it's not that big of a deal. He has a backup of the drive and he noted the time and date of the incident (just in case darkcoin goes to thousands of dollars a piece in the future he can maybe attempt a recovery).

Back