• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

LINUX Wallet Download / Installation Guide:

B

buster

This guide uses information from @LucD88 windows guide: Majority of Credit Should Go To Him. The guide is Intended for Ubuntu 14.04 but should also work for other Ubuntu/Debian based systems. The main goal of this guide is to explain to new people (newbies) how to get started with the Dash wallet and how to manage it afterwards.

Changelog:
28/3/15 - Re-branded to Dash
22/2/15 - Added Verify CheckSum

First and foremost use this guide at your own risk, I'm not held responsible for any mistakes or errors that this guide may contain. I tried my best in making this guide understandable for nontechnical people. Just make sure you read every step carefully to prevent messing up.

Table of contents:
Download the Dash wallet + Verify Checksum
2. Extract the Dash wallet
3. Run the Dash-QT
4. Synchronize with the Dash network
5. Encrypting the Dash Wallet
6. Updating the Dash wallet
7. Thank you from LucD88
8. Thank you from Bill Cassidy

1. Download the Dash wallet
To download the latest Dash wallet visit https://www.dashpay.io/downloads/ (official website) and click the "Linux (tgz)" button next to the Linux penguin icon.

Note:Downloading may take a while depending on your connection's download speed.
kfxYd58.jpg

1a. Verify Checksum.
You need to verify the integrity of your download and ensure it was not corrupted during transit. You can do this using either MD5 or SHA-256. You only need to use one, using both is not necessary.

• Next to the Linux(tgz) Button you will see this button. Click it.
Y5dwx0W.jpg

• When you click it you will be taken to this page showing the MD5 and SHA-256 Hash.
ozfp7Le.png

• Now Find your downloaded linux.tar.gz file, right click, go to rename, highlight the entire file name, and copy it to your clipboard.
1fUQmeg.png

• Open your terminal by holding down the 'ctrl' key and then click the 'T' key.
  • In your terminal you need to get to the Directory where your download is located. I put mine on the Desktop to make it easy. To get there type in 'cd Desktop'
  • Now you need to verify the checksums. With the file name copied to your clip board. type in the following commands.
  • md5sum 'file name' or sha256sum 'filename'
  • Typing either of these commands will return specific hashes that correspond to your download. The hashes from your terminal must match the md5 and sha-256 hashes listed in the window you got earlier.
V4xb38g.png

• Once you verify the hashes match you can continue to the next step. If they do not match you need to download the file and try again.
2. Extract the Dash wallet
Locate the downloaded Dash wallet archive, which has a .tar.gz file extension. Double click the .tar.gz file and this window should open.

27ji97E.jpg

Inside you will find a file named 'Dash-x.xx.x.xx-linux, you need to extract this file. This can be done by Dragging and dropping the file onto your desktop. When extracted successfully you should find the folder located on your desktop. Open the extracted folder and you will see two more folders inside. One of them is named 'bin' the other one is named 'src'.

jqonzYE.jpg

Open the 'bin' folder and you now see two more folders. One of them is named '32' and the other one is named '64'. You need to determine if your computer is a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

(This is done by clicking the gear icon in the top right hand corner of your screen, and then clicking the 'about this computer' menu item)

HF903Rw.jpg

A window with information about your computer should pop up. Find your OS type and determine if you are 32-bit or 64-bit.

67NDM6Q.jpg

If you still can't determine what OS version you're using it's safe to use the '32-bit' folder. Reason is that 32-bit (x86) applications also work on 64-bit (x64) systems, but not the other way around.

Note: In this guide we'll use the '32' folder since that version works on both types of systems.

xbb41SD.jpg

3. Run the Dash-QT
The dash file is no longer executable. You need to open the dash-qt file from your terminal

Open the 32 folder and locate the Dash-qt file. Drag and drop the Dash-qt file to your desktop. Create a folder called Dash and place the Dash-qt file inside. All the other files located in the Dash-x.xx.x.xx-linux can be deleted from your machine.

7EdpJsH.jpg

- open terminal
-go into directory where dash-qt is located
-run the following command
./dash-qt
(to avoid doing this every time, you can right click the dash icon in your launcher to the left and click 'lock to launcher')

xcP6iH0.jpg

You can choose a custom data directory but for ease of use we will use the DEFAULT DATA DIRECTORY which is located in your home folder.

You are now ready to click the Okay Button.

u4JIROQ.jpg

After clicking ok you will see a Dash Loading Screen with some wallet information.

zi8w0wz.jpg

4. Synchronize with the Dash network
Whenever the Dash wallet has started successfully it will try to synchronize with the Dash network, this means a working internet connection is required.

The red "(out of sync)" annotations indicate that the wallet is currently out of sync with the Dash network. Depending on your connection speed and amount of connections the wallet has to the Dash network, it could take a while before the Dash wallet is completely synchronized with the Dash network. Keep an eye on the progress bar at the bottom of the Dash wallet.

341zXYG.png

As soon as the Dash wallet is completely done synchronizing it will show a green tick at the right bottom of the application.

QLme6s6.jpg

You now have a fully functional synchronized Dash Wallet.
Your next step is to secure your wallet so that your funds are safe from theft. You can do that by following the Encrypting the Dash Wallet Instructions Below

5) Encrypting the Dash Wallet

After fully synchronizing with the Dash network it's highly advisable to encrypt your Dash wallet with a password. Using a password you have never used before and is impossible to guess is the safest way to go with. Please review the Strong Password Ubuntu Documentation to ensure you safety even further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StrongPasswords

Note: Make sure to keep your password safe somewehre so you will never lose it or get it stolen.

To encrypt your wallet click "Settings" and click "Encrypt Wallet...".

nKuM7jV.png

Now it should ask for a passphrase, enter your password in both fields and click "OK". It will ask for a confirmation, click "Yes".

hCJF8rD.png

At this point the wallet will be encrypting itself so don't click anything. When it's finished you will see this notification screen. Please read and understand it and than click OK.

z7YszZ4.png

The Dash Wallet will close, you can start it again by clicking the Dash-qt file.
Your wallet is now encrypted (hopefully with a strong password). Remember to save your password in a safe place, without it you will be able to access your funds.

Last edited:
6. Updating the Dash wallet
Since the Dash wallet doesn't have a built-in auto-updater (for security reasons), it's wise to check the Dash website (https://www.dashpay.io/downloads/) for updates every once in awhile. Whenever there is an update available, download it as explained in Step 1 of this guide.

Note: Before you continue make sure the Dash wallet is closed and not running in the background, else this might interrupt the update process.

6.a) Extract the Dash wallet
Locate the downloaded Dash wallet archive, which has a .tar.gz file extension. Double click the .tar.gz file.

Inside you will find a file named 'Dash-x.xx.x.xx-linux, you need to extract this file. This can be done by Dragging and dropping the file onto your desktop. When extracted successfully you should find the folder located on your desktop. Open the extracted folder and you will see two more folders inside. One of them is named 'bin' the other one is named 'src'.

KTLixE0.jpg

Open the 'bin' folder and you now see two more folders. One of them is named '32' and the other one is named '64'. You need to determine if your computer is a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Note: If you don't know what OS version you're using it's safe to use the "32" folder. Reason is that 32-bit applications also work on 64-bit systems, but not other way around. In this guide we'll use the "32" folder since that version works on both types of systems.

xbb41SD.jpg

Open the '32' folder and locate the Dash-qt file. Drag and drop the Dash-qt file to your desktop. Find your Dash folder (where you placed your original Dash-qt file) and place the Dash-qt file inside, you will be promoted to overwrite the existing file, click okay.

Note: You can delete the linux.tar.gz folder and the Dash-x.xx.x.xx-linux folder now you wont need them anymore.

That's it when it comes to updating the Dash wallet. You can start your freshly updated Dash wallet again by clicking the Dash-qt file located in the 'Dash' directory.

7. Thank You! From LucD88
This is as far as my explainable expertise reaches, I hope this guide helped you along the way creating a safer and more understable way of using the Dash wallet. This guide isn't perfect and I hope the community helps me find and fix mistakes/errors it still contains. If things are unclear, you need help, or you found a mistake/error, feel free to PM me anytime! :)

Creating this guide took me quite some time and effort. Any tips or donations are highly appreciated and might allow me to create more quality guides in the near future.

LucD88 DASH address:
Xc47dtebE53QiQSoJGtkY1zkfkwADy4mFs

8. Thank You! From Bill Cassidy
I had a lot of fun and learned a lot creating this guide. It's not perfect and is in working condition. If the community finds any mistakes please report them. Also with Linux there are various ways to get a wallet up and running, I just feel like this is probably the easiest of all. No tips for me if you feel like tiping send one to LucD88 Above.

Last edited:
I'm not good with Linux, but the guide looks good. And a great foundation ofcourse! :grin:

Thank you buster for giving me credits as well, appreciated! :smile:

Cool. I am going to be reviewing the guide today and will edit any mistakes. Also going to try and shorten it up a bit because most Linux users are semi tech savvy and a long guide doesn't really do right by them.

Cool. I am going to be reviewing the guide today and will edit any mistakes. Also going to try and shorten it up a bit because most Linux users are semi tech savvy and a long guide doesn't really do right by them.
You got a point there, but I wouldn't assume the user of the guide is semi tech-savvy. When I started the Windows guide I wanted to make it 100% 'fool' proof. This eventually gives the more tech-savvy users the chance to skim through the guide.

So in other words - in my opinion - it's better to have a guide that is as complete as possible so everyone can apply it to their own liking, ranging from total newbie to Dr. tech-savvy. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

hey buster
i agree with Luc,
this is really for newcomers, so it should be as detailed as possible.
I agree that the Linux crowed are the pro's, but the more detailed the better for this.
Tx great work

hey buster
i agree with Luc,
this is really for newcomers, so it should be as detailed as possible.
I agree that the Linux crowed are the pro's, but the more detailed the better for this.
Tx great work

Got it. What Just an FYI whoever using this at all the custom data directory for the linux tut is wrong. I am fixing this now and will update the guide shortly. I will be removing the custom data directory portion of the guide as I am not 100% sure how to do it yet. When i find out I will write a separate guide for creating a custom directory. I think without including this that the tutorial will be easier for people and it will eliminate an entire step.

Also sweet suprise coming in a few moments.

Surprises are always good! :grin: *waits patiently*

well I was trying to turn my guide into a video as well but failed miserably. Linux has no good video editing program so I'm shit outta luck on that front. Oh well.

I updated my guide today. I took out the custom data directory until I find out how to do that. Also took out the security measures as I am writing a separate guide for that (which users will be promoted to move onto after they install the wallet normally.)

well I was trying to turn my guide into a video as well but failed miserably. Linux has no good video editing program so I'm shit outta luck on that front. Oh well.

I updated my guide today. I took out the custom data directory until I find out how to do that. Also took out the security measures as I am writing a separate guide for that (which users will be promoted to move onto after they install the wallet normally.)
Hehehe, well that's a bummer indeed.

Alright, nice progress on the guides. I will try to create a separate and more in-depth Windows security guide when time allows me to.

use the menu bar of your computer screen not the wallet menu bar. The very top left of your computer screen above your ER_112 file on desktop, where it says darkcoin core - wallet hover that and menu items should show. Also I think you can click the little blue D logo in the top right of your screen And see options.

You can change where your menus get displayed in ubuntu settings, I'll show how when I get back home from work.

Where do I find the "settings" on my wallet?View attachment 1005View attachment 1005

You can change the location of where your menu items get displayed to one of the following:
'in the menu bar' or in the 'windows title bar' - you can do this by clicking the gear icon in top right hand corner, system settings, appearance, behavior sub tab, button left it says 'show the menus for window' and you choose the option here. Also if you click the blue Darkcoin Logo when your wallet is open you can get the settings open. Let me know if you need anymore help.

This guide uses information from @LucD88 windows guide: Majority of Credit Should Go To Him. The guide is Intended for Ubuntu 14.04 but should also work for other Ubuntu/Debian based systems. The main goal of this guide is to explain to new people (newbies) how to get started with the Darkcoin wallet and how to manage it afterwards.

Changelog:
22/2/15 - Added Verify CheckSum

First and foremost use this guide at your own risk, I'm not held responsible for any mistakes or errors that this guide may contain. I tried my best in making this guide understandable for nontechnical people. Just make sure you read every step carefully to prevent messing up.

Table of contents:
Download the Darkcoin wallet + Verify Checksum
2. Extract the Darkcoin wallet
3. Run the Darkcoin-QT
4. Synchronize with the Darkcoin network
5. Encrypting the Darkcoin Wallet
6. Updating the Darkcoin wallet
7. Thank you from LucD88
8. Thank you from Bill Cassidy

1. Download the Darkcoin wallet
To download the latest Darkcoin wallet visit https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/ (official website) and click the "Linux (tgz)" button next to the Linux penguin icon.

Note:Downloading may take a while depending on your connection's download speed.
d7QhORd.jpg

1a. Verify Checksum.
You need to verify the integrity of your download and ensure it was not corrupted during transit. You can do this using either MD5 or SHA-256. You only need to use one, using both is not necessary.

• Next to the Linux(tgz) Button you will see this button. Click it.
7LR3WZl.png

• When you click it you will be taken to this page showing the MD5 and SHA-256 Hash.
WA3UCbY.png

• Now Find your downloaded linux.tar.gz file, right click, go to rename, highlight the entire file name, and copy it to your clipboard.
ioiece0.png

• Open your terminal by holding down the 'ctrl' key and then click the 'T' key.
  • In your terminal you need to get to the Directory where your download is located. I put mine on the Desktop to make it easy. To get there type in 'cd Desktop'
  • Now you need to verify the checksums. With the file name copied to your clip board. type in the following commands.
  • md5sum 'file name' or sha256sum 'filename'
  • Typing either of these commands will return specific hashes that correspond to your download. The hashes from your terminal must match the md5 and sha-256 hashes listed in the window you got earlier.
Sgf4qCo.png

• Once you verify the hashes match you can continue to the next step. If they do not match you need to download the file and try again.
2. Extract the Darkcoin wallet
Locate the downloaded Darkcoin wallet archive, which has a .tar.gz file extension. Double click the .tar.gz file and this window should open.

E6YBfpl.jpg

Inside you will find a file named 'darkcoin-x.xx.x.xx-linux, you need to extract this file. This can be done by Dragging and dropping the file onto your desktop. When extracted successfully you should find the folder located on your desktop. Open the extracted folder and you will see two more folders inside. One of them is named 'bin' the other one is named 'src'.

Jk24vhI.jpg

(This is done by clicking the gear icon in the top right hand corner of your screen, and then clicking the 'about this computer' menu item)

HF903Rw.jpg

A window with information about your computer should pop up. Find your OS type and determine if you are 32-bit or 64-bit.

67NDM6Q.jpg

If you still can't determine what OS version you're using it's safe to use the '32-bit' folder. Reason is that 32-bit (x86) applications also work on 64-bit (x64) systems, but not the other way around.

Note: In this guide we'll use the '32' folder since that version works on both types of systems.

xbb41SD.jpg

3. Run the Darkcoin-QT

Open the 32 folder and locate the darkcoin-qt file. Drag and drop the darkcoin-qt file to your desktop. Create a folder called Darkcoin and place the darkcoin-qt file inside. All the other files located in the darkcoin-x.xx.x.xx-linux can be deleted from your machine.

zsVJHd1.jpg

You can now open your wallet, double click the darkcoin-qt file and this screen will pop up.

jNvgcF6.jpg

You can choose a custom data directory but for ease of use we will use the DEFAULT DATA DIRECTORY which is located in your home folder.

You are now ready to click the Green Okay Button.

rGMhf8W.jpg

After clicking ok you will see a Darkcoin Loading Screen with some wallet information.

qIhTtmT.jpg

4. Synchronize with the Darkcoin network
Whenever the Darkcoin wallet has started successfully it will try to synchronize with the Darkcoin network, this means a working internet connection is required.

The red "(out of sync)" annotations indicate that the wallet is currently out of sync with the Darkcoin network. Depending on your connection speed and amount of connections the wallet has to the Darkcoin network, it could take a while before the Darkcoin wallet is completely synchronized with the Darkcoin network. Keep an eye on the progress bar at the bottom of the Darkcoin wallet.

6anMOuA.png

As soon as the Darkcoin wallet is completely done synchronizing it will show a green tick at the right bottom of the application.

QLme6s6.jpg

You now have a fully functional synchronized Darkcoin Wallet.
Your next step is to secure your wallet so that your funds are safe from theft. You can do that by following the Encrypting the Darkcoin Wallet Instructions Below

5) Encrypting the Darkcoin Wallet

After fully synchronizing with the Darkcoin network it's highly advisable to encrypt your Darkcoin wallet with a password. Using a password you have never used before and is impossible to guess is the safest way to go with. Please review the Strong Password Ubuntu Documentation to ensure you safety even further.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StrongPasswords

Note: Make sure to keep your password safe somewehre so you will never lose it or get it stolen.

To encrypt your wallet click "Settings" and click "Encrypt Wallet...".

nKuM7jV.png

Now it should ask for a passphrase, enter your password in both fields and click "OK". It will ask for a confirmation, click "Yes".

ZhLLp2K.png

At this point the wallet will be encrypting itself so don't click anything. When it's finished you will see this notification screen. Please read and understand it and than click OK.

ubgjU2c.png

The Darkcoin Wallet will close, you can start it again by clicking the darkcoin-qt file.
Your wallet is now encrypted (hopefully with a strong password). Remember to save your password in a safe place, without it you will be able to access your funds.

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Done my man. Changed images, text, and just about all of it. Let me know if you see anything else in there. Also I noticed when updating... When you go to encrypt wallet, the warning message still says "back up your wallet, you will lose your darkcoin..." I edited the screenshot for now, once the devs update it Ill get the real one in there.

Our build system now produce files that are not recognized as executables though they are.
I wrote a simple script to install dash-qt from downloaded archive and to give it a nice icon.
Here is what you need to do:

1) After you extracted downloaded archive you should have dash-0.12.0 folder somewhere.
Go inside it, create a file named install_dash_qt.sh and edit it with your favorite editor:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo -s install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/local/bin bin/dash-qt
echo "[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dash-Qt
Comment=Dash - Reinventing Cryptocurrency https://www.dashpay.io
Type=Application
Exec=dash-qt %u
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/dash128.xpm
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/dash
Categories=Applications;Finance;" > ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop
chmod u+x ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop
sudo cp ~/Desktop/Dash-Qt.desktop /usr/share/applications/
sudo wget -O /usr/share/pixmaps/dash128.xpm https://github.com/dashpay/dash/raw/master/share/pixmaps/bitcoin128.xpm

2) Right click on empty space in that folder and choose "Open in Terminal". In command line issue:
Code:
chmod u+x install_dash_qt.sh
to make file executable and
Code:
./install_dash_qt.sh
to run it.

Enter your password and shortly after you should have a nice icon on your Desktop and the same icon in Applications.

Enjoy! :smile:

PS. This script reguires wget. Install it first if you don't have it already
Code:
sudo apt-get install wget

EDIT:
"su -c" requires you to set root password which "normal"/non-developer users do not have at all (by ubuntu's default)
Changed script to use "sudo -s" instead, give it a try if you had problems before

Back