• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Liquidity Provider / Unlock for Mixing?

S

snogcel

Hey Guys,

Today I fired up a dedicated Liquidity Provider however had a question because I've not seen a whole lot of discussion (at least outside of the testing threads) on this functionality.

Question: is it possible to encrypt a wallet and unlock it only for mixing (no transactions) using the command prompt? I've set this up on a dedicated VPS and am running the server through the daemon. Right now I've left the wallet unencrypted but that makes me a little nervous.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Thanks, vertoe :)

snogcel it's not working in released binaries but you can grab source from github and recompile.
You should be able to use 'walletpassphrase "yourpassphrasehere" 99999999 true' to unlock only for mixing then.
It was not extensively tested yet so I would suggest you to try to break it yourself by performing some sending txs to your own address and see if it works. I will highly appreciate your response :)

But once again, just like with GUI, your wallet will be actually "unlocked" (passphrase will sit in daemon memory and will be used to get private key and sign mixing transactions).
It's just few simple additional checks in code that should prevent "normal way" of signing general sending transactions - by using rpc calls - but that will not work against experienced hacker/advanced tool who can modify daemon memory to pass this checks. So be aware of it - you still need to think wise about security of your box.

Thanks, vertoe :)

snogcel it's not working in released binaries but you can grab source from github and recompile.
You should be able to use 'walletpassphrase "yourpassphrasehere" 99999999 true' to unlock only for mixing then.
It was not extensively tested yet so I would suggest you to try to break it yourself by performing some sending txs to your own address and see if it works. I will highly appreciate your response :)

But once again, just like with GUI, your wallet will be actually "unlocked" (passphrase will sit in daemon memory and will be used to get private key and sign mixing transactions).
It's just few simple additional checks in code that should prevent "normal way" of signing general sending transactions - by using rpc calls - but that will not work against experienced hacker/advanced tool who can modify daemon memory to pass this checks. So be aware of it - you still need to think wise about security of your box.

Thanks UdjinM6! I'll definitely give this a go and let you know what I see. Appreciate the insights about security also - will keep this in mind. Funny thing is my VPS is probably tighter security wise than my own personal PC; this let's me make a secure backup of my liquidity wallet :)

Was checking in on my liquidity provider today and noticed that the following command:

grep 'SendDarksendDenominate' debug.log

only returned one entry, dated 2014-12-14. Is there something in my darkcoin.conf that might be creating issues? I haven't locked / encrypted my wallet yet.

testnet=0
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
masternode=0
liquidityprovider=1
anonymizedarkcoinamount=150
maxconnections=256

Any insights on my configuration would be really appreciated :)

Was checking in on my liquidity provider today and noticed that the following command:

grep 'SendDarksendDenominate' debug.log

only returned one entry, dated 2014-12-14. Is there something in my darkcoin.conf that might be creating issues? I haven't locked / encrypted my wallet yet.

testnet=0
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
masternode=0
liquidityprovider=1
anonymizedarkcoinamount=150
maxconnections=256

Any insights on my configuration would be really appreciated :)
Hmmm... What's your output for this
Code:
grep 'DoAutomaticDenominating' debug.log | tail -n 30

EDIT: or can you please send your debug.log to [email protected]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to get UdjinM6 unshared attention, is this thread related? Cannot use Darksend mixing, I havent been able to denominate coins recently.
I don't know if this one is related but yep, it looks like that. I'm watching both threads just wanted to start from one... But well, the more info the better :smile: Can you, moli and simiane provide me this command output too please (see my previous post)? Or can you maybe send debug.log to [email protected]?

I don't know if this one is related but yep, it looks like that. I'm watching both threads just wanted to start from one... But well, the more info the better :smile: Can you, moli and simiane provide me this command output too please (see my previous post)? Or can you maybe send debug.log to [email protected]?
Debug log was sent. Thank you! :smile:

Debug log was sent. Thank you! :smile:
Thanks! Received... however that possible issue I found before has nothing to do with your log... :confused:
Can you please update to 17.24 and run it with -debug option for a while (2-4 hours maybe)?

Thanks! Received... however that possible issue I found before has nothing to do with your log... :confused:
Can you please update to 17.24 and run it with -debug option for a while (2-4 hours maybe)?
I intended to do this with v.24 and kept getting busy... Will have to be afk soon and not be able to do this until about 9 hours from now. But I will run v.24 and get back with you. Thank you.

UdjinM6, There's not any difference with Darksend between v.10.17.23 and 10.17.24, correct? Because the OP only states that:
- Fixed possible masternode payments exploit

And "a minor DSEEP vulnerability" was already fixed in v.23. I'm wondering what changes I've missed in the current version, regarding Darksend.

Got win wallet v.101724 running overnight, Darksend did not denominate. Just sent you the debug.log file.

Thanks for checking and fixing this problem. :smile:

UdjinM6, There's not any difference with Darksend between v.10.17.23 and 10.17.24, correct? Because the OP only states that:

And "a minor DSEEP vulnerability" was already fixed in v.23. I'm wondering what changes I've missed in the current version, regarding Darksend.

Got win wallet v.101724 running overnight, Darksend did not denominate. Just sent you the debug.log file.

Thanks for checking and fixing this problem. :smile:
You're right, moli , but I just wanted to see the difference. Thank you for fresh debug.log, I'm looking into it... And from the first sight it looks like now it actually doing something but can't pass queue (can't find enough participants?) while old one wasn't even denominating...

I've been running my wallet all day with 85 / 8 rounds but there's still no denomination. I guess there's no one else trying to mix their coins today?

Back