• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Silent Circle

S

snogcel

Hey Guys,

This afternoon a thought occurred to me and I wanted to share this with the community.

First - check out https://silentcircle.com/ - an acquaintance of mine told me about this service a few months back, and it's quite interesting. It's basically a centralized / privacy-centric phone network... I remember thinking when he was telling me about it that the biggest flaw was the centralized nature.

What do you guys think the feasibility of running something like this on a Masternode-based network? The power of our distributed network is almost limitless - I wonder if something like this could be feasible some day?

A very exciting time for us early adopters :)

Some similar ideas have been discussed these days after the announcement of Evan starting to work on DarkTor. I think it would make a lot of sense to have some services, but we need to be conscious that each of those services we are talking about is extremely complex. There are full companies working on similar things and our resources are limited, so we need to go step by step and thing things carefully.

I agree with your acquaintance that being centralized is their biggest flaw. I first heard about Silent Circle in an article about the founder of Lavabit mail. When he was fighting to let people know the details of why he had decided to close his service he said he was using Silent Circle to communicate with his lawyers. I'll admit that with that endorsement I feel they can be trusted, but I would prefer not having to. Trustless is always better!

What do you guys think the feasibility of running something like this on a Masternode-based network? The power of our distributed network is almost limitless - I wonder if something like this could be feasible some day?

A very exciting time for us early adopters :)

I think the idea itself is good, but I wouldn't overload Masternodes with features, they already need a lot of (bandwidth) resources and each new feature introduces new vulnerabilities and attack vectors for DDOS:

Better do ONE thing right than lots of things okay-ish.

So, let the Masternodes do what they are designed for, anonymizing Darkcoin transfers.

Back